Website Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith is a global relationship law firm with more than 1,700 lawyers in 30 offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Founded in 1877, the firm represents leading international businesses, from Fortune 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises. Its lawyers provide litigation and other dispute resolution services in multi-jurisdictional and other high-stakes matters; deliver regulatory counsel; and execute the full range of strategic domestic and cross-border transactions. Reed Smith is a preeminent advisor to industries including financial services, life sciences, health care, advertising, entertainment and media, shipping and transport, energy and natural resources, real estate, manufacturing, technology, and education. For more information, visit reedsmith.com.
This position is responsible for the direction, coordination and overall management of associate lateral and law student recruiting primarily for the San Francisco and Silicon Valley offices, including but not limited to: recruitment and integration of lateral lawyers, management of the campus recruitment process, summer associate program, and new associate program. Also responsible for attorney integration, mentor program, and various related talent management duties. This position will also support our Sr. Manager of Partner Recruiting in building a pipeline of lateral partner candidates.
General Recruiting Functions
- Works in partnership with Director of Recruiting, Sr. Manager of Partner Recruiting, Department Heads, Practice Leaders, and Office Managing Partners to identify and attract lateral candidates.
- Reports competitive market intelligence on hiring statistics, opportunities and risk assessments.
- Collaborates with the Sr. Manager of Partner Recruiting, sponsoring partners and local administrative teams to guide lateral candidates through the recruiting and integration processes, ensuring the experience is representative of the Firm’s standards of excellence.
- Teams with attorneys and Business Development to ensure the seamless transition of each attorney integration and business development efforts.
Develops and analyzes reports and projections regarding market trends in diversity, legal recruiting, and retention.
- Prescreens all attorney and law student applications for employment and ensures that appropriate correspondence is produced and that appropriate records are maintained.
- Interviews candidates and discusses the Firm’s recruitment procedures and policies.
- Manages formal due diligence and offer process for lateral hires.
- Serves as the contact with all outside organizations involved in the legal recruiting process including but not limited to: legal search firms, the National Association for Law Placement, other law firms and other professional organizations.
- Develops, prepares and analyzes reports, projections and statistics regarding market hiring, general management and other attorney-related personnel issues for use by Firm management.
- Active member of Recruiting and Summer Associate Committees.
Prepares and manages legal recruiting annual budget.
Summer Associate Program
- Designs, attends, and implements all components of summer program, including but not limited to: on-campus and call-back interview process, pre-employment communications, orientation, training, work assignments, educational and social events and evaluation process.
- Manages Summer Associate mentoring program.
- Maintains summer associate files, work assignments, evaluation forms/processes; follows up with assigning attorney regarding feedback to summer associates.
- Counsels and advises Summer Associates throughout the summer on firm policies, procedures and other firm matters.
- Prepares and monitors Summer Associate program annual budget.
- Plans and coordinates fall and off-season law school recruiting efforts such as receptions and targeted correspondence.
New Associate Program
- Manages pre-employment correspondence to entry-level associates, new hire start dates, moving and bar-related expenses/reimbursement and stipend.
- Disseminates information regarding new hires to appropriate firm personnel.
- Develops orientation program and oversees integration of new attorneys.
- Communicates with new associates about bar application process, firm policies, and manages reimbursement process for bar application fees.
Coordinates first year mentoring program.
- Prepares and manages first year associate program annual budget.
- Works in conjunction with Firmwide Recruiting team to update NALP form and related Firm materials by collaborating with Marketing Department on recruiting-related promotional materials including recruiting portion of Firm’s Web Site, Firmwide Recruiting Brochure, ads and other recruiting pieces, as needed.
- Works with Legal Recruiting Team in the various Reed Smith markets to coordinate recruiting efforts, Summer/New Associate programs. Meets regularly with other recruiting managers to make recommendations for strategic development of recruiting efforts and summer programs.
- Participates in various HR, Recruiting and Summer Committee meetings and Firmwide attorney meetings, as scheduled.
- Understands and is familiar with Firm systems, policies, politics and procedures, client services and future goals in order to troubleshoot questions, problems or concerns.
- The Manager should maintain memberships in the National Association for Law Placement and other professional organizations as appropriate.
- Initiate process improvement ideas and participate in projects aimed towards streamlining and enhancing our internal procedures.
- Performs other projects and tasks as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred.
Experience: A minimum of four years of management-level recruiting experience in a law firm and prior supervisory experience is strongly preferred. Should have a demonstrated understanding of current law firm industry, market trends and philosophies.
Skills: Strong leadership, management and organizational skills. Requires excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, good judgment, a professional demeanor and the ability to provide an excellent first impression of the Firm. Must work well with all levels of Firm personnel and establish effective working relationships throughout the Firm. Must be highly motivated, creative, flexible and results-oriented and have the ability to prioritize appropriately.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises, along with the Senior HR Manager, the HR Coordinator and any recruiting administrative support staff.
Equipment To Be Used: Personal computer and other office equipment such as telephone, calculator, fax, machine, copier, scanner, etc.
Typical Physical Demands: Manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office equipment.
Typical Mental Demands: Able to work effectively in a fast paced environment. Make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations. Grasp and apply new ideas. Communicate with various personalities at all levels.
Working Conditions: Works in typical office setting. Occasionally called upon to work hours in excess of your normal daily schedule.
Reed Smith offers a challenging work environment, business casual dress code and a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, flexible benefits program, tuition assistance, and generous 401 (k) plan.
Reed Smith is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reed Smith’s success depends heavily on the effective utilization of qualified people, regardless of their race, ancestry, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran’s status, or any characteristic protected by law. As a firm, we adhere to and promote equal employment opportunity for all.
Reed Smith provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities, including in the application and interview process.
Qualified candidates only. No search firms.