Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
Company Name: Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
Title of Position: Development and Diversity Program Manager
Position Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: Los Angeles
Who We Are:
Munger Tolles has been consistently ranked on The American Lawyer’s A-List since its inception in 2004, including six years in the top spot. we strive to hire only the most qualified and creative lawyers. We believe that clerkships provide valuable experience. In this regard, about 80 percent of our attorneys served as law clerks to federal or state judges. Seventeen attorneys were clerks to U.S. Supreme Court Justices.
The Development and Diversity Program Manager works closely with the Senior Director of Development and Diversity and various committees to coordinate and implement the firm’s attorney development and diversity objectives and programs. Under the guidance of the Senior Director of Development and Diversity, the Development and Diversity Program Manager works independently to manage critical attorney development and retention programs and is a trusted resource for associates, partners and firm management.
• Leads and participates in firm-wide projects and initiatives, with a focus on attorney training and development and diversity and inclusion.
• In conjunction with leadership and Development and Retention Committee, develops, maintains and facilitates attorney learning and development programs.
• In conjunction with leadership and Associate Review Committee, helps to facilitate associate review process to ensure the delivery of useful and meaningful performance evaluations.
• In conjunction with leadership and Diversity Committee, helps to facilitate diversity initiatives, including, but not limited to: Oversees the firm’s 1L Diversity program including facilitating recruiting, the IL summer program, coordination of client/pro bono opportunities and on-going relationship management with IL participants.
• Works closely with the Fellows Program Chairs and Committee to oversee the MTO Fellows Program and provides coaching to Fellows program participants and works with them to ensure continued participation and success in the program.
• Project manages and/or supports special diversity-related and development projects.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Advisory and Consultation
• Meets individually with associates regularly to become a trusted advisor on their career development and goals.
• Provides associates with support and coaching on career-related matters, including creating individual development plans and facilitating off-boarding activities.
• Works closely with various department leaders and committees to develop and implement strategies for recruiting and retention of diverse attorneys.
• Collaborates with Legal Recruiting to support diversity-related law school outreach and new associate programs.
• Partners with appropriate committees and partners to meet staffing demands.
Data and Information Management
• Works with appropriate parties to ensure development and diversity information and statistics are maintained and readily accessible.
• Oversees the completion of various client requests for development and diversity information as well as the completion of certain industry surveys.
• Analyzes development and diversity information and makes recommendations for strategies and programs to address gaps.
• Analyzes work assignment data to ensure equitable access to and distribution of client opportunities.
• Researches and makes recommendations on technology tools to assist with associate work allocation and utilization, performance reviews, and development initiatives.
• Prepares regular and ad hoc reports as assigned.
• Microsoft Office
• Various recruiting, HRIS, and tracking programs.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience required.
• 4+ years of experience as a diversity and/or development professional preferred; law firm experience required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse group of internal and external clients, attorneys, and professionals.
• Ability to learn and embrace new skills and best practices as the position evolves and Firm needs change.
• Must have ability to work with minimal supervision on many projects and initiatives.
• Ability to effectively communicate with attorneys, all levels of business services and contacts outside the Firm both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to use independent judgment, problem solve, take initiative and follow through.
• Ability to use HRIS, timekeeper systems and other talent systems to retrieve data.
• Expert ability to build strong relationships and operate as a trusted advisor to individuals at all levels of the organization.
• Strong data and analytics knowledge and ability to review metrics, measure value and take appropriate action to move forward on initiatives.
• Ability to be available, as needed, to work extended hours, nights, weekends.
Writing, typing, reading, speaking, hearing, seeing, sitting, bending, reaching, lifting up to 25 lbs
Quiet office environment in a high-rise building, seated the majority of the time
• Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending, HSA, 401k
• Varity of provided and voluntary benefits like life insurance, long-term care insurance and critical illness insurance
• Employee Assistance Program
• Back-up Child Care Benefit
• Paid Holidays
• Transportation Allowance
• Frequent celebrations, events and gatherings
• Health and Wellness classes
• Competitive compensation programs
• Generous leaves of absence policy
For information on Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP, and other job opportunities, please visit our website at www.mto.com
MTO is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles (for example, braids, locks, and twists), color, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, marital or domestic partner status, parental or family care status, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, disability or medical condition, genetic characteristic, political affiliation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. It is the policy of Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP to prohibit discrimination, unlawful harassment (including sexual harassment), and retaliation. This commitment prohibits such conduct by any individual involved in MTO’s operations and by anyone doing business with or on behalf of Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP.