Associate Development Manager (PA Corporate)
Cooley is seeking an Associate Development Manager to join a growing team focused on the development and retention of associates through the work allocation and evaluation processes. Your role will be to help associates build their careers at the firm by ensuring they receive broad exposure to a variety of matters, clients, teams, and skill-building experiences. You will help guide associates to success by collecting and delivering regular feedback as well as overseeing annual reviews.
You will work closely with the group’s leadership to establish a culture of mentoring and training, integrate new hires, load balance, promote diversity, and build a sense of team. Your role will be relational, as you connect with associates about their development goals, connect with partners about business needs, and generate buy-in for staffing decisions that take these and other factors – diversity, equity, and talent development – into account. Equally as important, your role will be analytical, as you track data and utilization metrics to inform your staffing decisions and evaluate the outcomes. Staffing in a busy practice within a growing global firm is truly an art form, so we are looking for a high-energy professional with strong EQ, commitment to client service, a coaching mindset and team orientation. If you are passionate about helping attorneys grow their careers, we would love to speak with you.
- Manage the work allocation/staffing process for associates in the corporate group. Monitor workloads and professional development of associates and allocate new matters in a manner which ensures an equitable distribution of assignments consistent with the clients’ needs and the attorneys’ individual professional development goals
- Track, aggregate and analyze associate metrics, including availability information and utilization rates. Partner with practice group leaders and associates to ensure that individual goals relating to productivity are achieved and practice group productivity is maintained
- Coordinate with practice group leaders and other supervising partners to identify staffing needs and hiring targets; partner with the Legal Talent team to ensure hiring efforts are supporting the goals and needs of the group
- Support the associate performance review process by working with practice group leaders and Associate Review Committee members to ensure quality reviews are delivered in a timely fashion. Monitor associate evaluations, prepare review delivery scripts and facilitate the delivery of formal reviews. Work with associates to implement feedback received, collaborating with Professional Development team members to provide coaching, where necessary
- Meet regularly with practice group leaders to identify high performing associates and associates who may be having specific challenges so that appropriate mentoring, training and other actions can be taken to address specific circumstances in a timely manner. Facilitate frequent feedback between partners and associates
- Partner with Legal Talent and other internal administrative departments to facilitate successful attorney on-boarding and integration, including conducting department orientation for new hires and building robust onboarding schedules. Help conduct exit interviews such that the firm can leverage departing associate feedback to improve the associate experience.
- Collaborate with Professional Development and Legal Education team members to develop, enhance and implement legal and professional skills training programs and initiatives to support associate development
- Collaborate with the firm’s Attorney Licensing and Compliance team members to ensure associates obtain and maintain their licensure requirements and engage in continuing legal education aligned with development goals
- Collaborate with the firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion team to champion and implement initiatives and events. Promote best practices in commitment to an inclusive culture and serve as a resource for diverse attorneys
- Collaborate with HR/Wellness teams to promote the wellness of the first and second-year associates
- All other duties as assigned or required
Skills and experience:
- After orientation at Cooley LLP, exhibit proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite, iManage and other firm applications
- Ability to work extended and/or weekend hours, as required
- Ability to travel, as required
- JD Degree
- 3+ years practicing as a corporate attorney, preferably in a large law firm environment
- 2+ years prior experience in staffing, professional development or practice support
- Personnel management experience
- Ability to establish rapport and build relationships and credibility with internal stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, oral (both listening and talking) and written communication skills
- Ability to respect and maintain highly sensitive or confidential information
- Excellent people management skills, to include serving as a mentor or coach
- Professional demeanor and the ability to use initiative, diplomacy and tact
- Ability to make independent judgments/decisions based up on a set of principles rather than rules
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with multiple constituencies
- Detail-oriented, organized and driven, with the desire to take ownership of projects and responsibilities, but to also work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment
- Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks quickly and efficiently
Cooley offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package. EOE.