Website Allen Matkins
Allen Matkins Professional Development and Diversity Specialist reports directly to the firm’s Chief Recruiting and Professional Development Officer. This is a position with firmwide responsibility; occasional travel to our five offices in California is required.
Allen Matkins is a premier California law firm, with more than 200 attorneys and legal professionals practicing in four major metropolitan areas of California: Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco and San Diego. We pride ourselves on our team, our focus on creating a well-run business and our exceptional relationships with clients. We are incredibly proud of what we’ve built, and look forward to welcoming new people who are similarly passionate and excited about what they do.
About the Position
The Recruiting and Professional Development Specialist works closely with the Chief Recruiting & PD Officer, the Senior Manager of Recruiting & PD, and various committees to coordinate and implement the firm’s professional development and diversity objectives and programs. Under the guidance of the Chief Recruiting & PD Officer and the Senior Manager of Recruiting & PD, the Recruiting and Professional Development Specialist works independently to coordinate critical professional development and retention programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Training, Evaluations, & Mentor Program
• Coordinates and facilitates attorney learning and development programs, including internal programming, lawyer access to PLI and other external training programs, and CLE compliance.
• Collaborates with Sr. Recruiting & PD Manager to develop and coordinate summer associate training programs.
• Facilitates the associate evaluation process by tracking status reports, preparing and distributing confidential materials to ensure the delivery of useful and meaningful performance evaluations.
• Administers the associate mentor program and related initiatives.
• Tracks departures and conducts exit interviews and analyzes themes from exit
• Assist with occasional lateral associate searches, including draft job descriptions;
sourcing candidates; coordinating interviews; collecting feedback and facilitating
decision-making conversations with hiring partners in accordance with established
• Assist in developing and managing integration of first-year associate classes, including planning integration events and new attorney orientation program.
• Assist in developing and managing integration of lateral associates.
• Helps to facilitate diversity initiatives, including, but not limited to the firm’s affinity groups, 1L Diversity program including facilitating 1L recruiting, and ongoing relationship management with 1L participants.
• Project manages and supports diversity-related projects.
• Collaborates with Senior Manager of Recruiting & PD to support diversity-related law school outreach and new associate programs.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience required.
• 4+ years of increasing experience as a recruiting, professional development, or diversity professional preferred; law firm experience required.
• Allen Matkins has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all personnel. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required as a condition of employment consistent with the Firm’s policies.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse group of
internal and external clients, including attorneys and business professionals.
• Self-starter who is organized and has the ability to juggle multiple priorities and
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to use independent judgement, problem solve, take initiative and follow
• Strong data and analytics knowledge and ability to review metrics, measure value
and take appropriate action to move forward on initiatives.
• Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Office, including Excel, is required.
Experience with viGlobal, including viRecruit, viUtilize, viCLE experience strongly
• Ability to be available, as needed, to work extended hours, nights, weekends.
Allen Matkins is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, veteran status, all other characteristics prohibited by law, or gender identity and/or expression.
California Consumer Privacy Act
We will collect the personal information you provide in connection with this application as well as information included with any other document(s) you provide us. We may use this information to evaluate your application and consider you for employment with Allen Matkins. We may share this information with third parties for any of the following purposes: (i) to confirm the accuracy of the information provided; (ii) to conduct a background check; (iii) to confirm or evaluate potential conflicts of interest; and/or (iv) to check references. If you accept an offer with Allen Matkins, we may use this information to provide you with the benefits of
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Allen Matkins LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive compensation & benefits package.