The Bay Area Legal Recruitment Association ("BALRA") was established in 1985 and consists of members from Bay Area law firms and law schools. The purpose and objectives of BALRA are:
- To promote the quality, image and reputation of the legal recruiting and law career services professions;
- To promote the exchange of information regarding the administration and management problems particular to legal recruitment and placement;
- To educate legal organizations regarding the value and availability of legal recruiters and career services personnel;
- To develop educational programs and to collect information of value to our members;
- To support the goals and programs of NALP, the National Association of Legal Professionals, where consistent with the goals and purposes of this organization;
- To support the American Bar Association's goal IX, the purpose of which is "to promote the full and equal participation in the profession by minorities and women."